OOW with ARIADNE introduces an innovative test facility for a wide spectrum of navigational equipment, such as ECDIS, VTS, AIS, RADAR, VDES, situational-awareness-improving systems, communication systems, augmented vision and autonomous shipping systems.
Gathering precise and properly formatted data is a crucial step and often a significant hurdle during the development of novel maritime technologies Therefore, the project is set to facilitate access to high-quality data streams in the desired format for both young startups and established corporations. ARIADNE's primary objective is to enhance the safety and efficiency of maritime navigation in both open sea and coastal regions. This objective is accomplished by empowering developers with the essential tools to assess the quality of their innovations, creating a global community of forward-thinking professionals with diverse expertise, while aligning with the interests of the merchant marine and navy sectors.
Introducing a cutting-edge test facility for navigation equipment will empower maritime developers in assessing the quality of their innovations and help them bridge the hurdle of accessing high-quality data streams throughout all stages of their technology development. Moreover, ARIADNE fosters to attract a global community of maritime innovators, converging in the hearth of Europe, and enable cross-border knowledge exchange, share valuable market insights, as well as harmonize the interests of both the navy’s and merchant marine sectors.
In the dynamic landscape of maritime software and hardware development/improvement, the pivotal challenge – often marked by time constraints, financial impacts and the demand for high-quality input – often revolves around accessing precise data in the correct format. Hence, ARIADNE is established to eliminate this obstacle. Furthermore, it opens doors to innovative studies focused on enhancing existing solutions by incorporating cutting-edge technologies such as 5G into maritime technologies.
The ARIADNE test facility will be developed by Officers on Watch (OOW) in collaboration with the Antwerp Maritime Academy (AMA). Consequently, it will also provide access to academic researchers, which are an important added value in terms of attracting new minds to the navy and maritime industry, laying grounds for new insights and solutions. Beyond its role in facilitating access to high-quality data streams for both young and established corporations, ARIADNE aspires to create a robust community of maritime innovators spanning the merchant marine and defense sectors. It seeks to bridge the gap between these sectors, acting as a neutral platform for the exchange of invaluable information.
Officers on Watch aspires to become an independent certification body, driving the development of industry standards that will shape the future of maritime technology. Our vision is to empower our customers with reliable insights and deep expertise, enhancing their comprehensive understanding of maritime factors affecting security, safety, the economy or the environment. Numerous entities have approached us over the last six months, demonstrating the demand for our expertise in testing equipment, including RADAR systems. Anchored in our belief that “the success of one, is the success of all”, ARIADNE aligns perfectly with out mission to provide safe, efficient and future-proof maritime domain services.
Our core mission encompasses the creation of rigorous standards, the formulation of comprehensive test procedures, the provision of expert advice, cutting-edge research, and comprehensive training programs. Hence, the OOW’s five pillars, which form the backbone of our commitment to enhancing the navy and maritime industry, can be linked to the ARIADNE-project as follows:
1. Standards development: ARIADNE is dedicated to establishing industry-leading standards that will serve as the benchmark for excellence. We actively collaborate with industry stakeholders, experts, and regulatory bodies to ensure that our standards reflect the latest advancements in navigational equipment, situational awareness, and communication systems.
2. Test procedures: Developers can rely on ARIADNE to provide a comprehensive assessment of their innovations, helping them achieve certification and compliance with industry standards.
3. Expert advice: Our maritime professionals offer invaluable guidance to developers, ensuring that their solutions meet the highest industry standards. Our experts are readily available to address queries, provide recommendations and assist in overcoming challenges.
4. Cutting-edge research: ARIADNE is committed to advancing the State of the Art in maritime technology. The project can contribute to pioneering research projects aimed at improving existing solutions and exploring innovative technologies.
5. Comprehensive training: Knowledge sharing is a fundamental aspect of ARIADNE's mission. Our training programs are designed to empower maritime professionals with the latest insights and best practices. Academic researchers are also welcome to access our testing facility, fostering education and the exchange of knowledge.
As a neutral group of experts we aim to provide safe, efficient and future-proof maritime domain services; ARIADNE directly contributes to this goal. In fact we expand on our philosophy of sharing expertise with our partners to enable them to thrive, and us alongside them, to a more global picture: fuel innovation by providing the right tools and simultaneously connect knowledge, minds, and organisations, and by doing so create an environment in which we as a community accelerate and guide maritime innovation to new heights.